Wireless Systems Technologies and Protocols Course code: 317207 | 8 ECTS credits
Level of Studies:
Year of Study: 1
Requirements: Elementary knowledge of wireless network architecture
Goal: The objective of the course is to enable students to master the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to use advanced principles and techniques in the field of architecture and protocols of wireless communication networks
Outcome: Upon completion of the course, students will be able to design, manage and use wireless and mobile networks at a higher, advanced level
Contents of the course
- Introduction - organization and content of the course. Overview of wireless communication technologies.
- Radio wave propagation, RF amplification/attenuation, interference, fading, reflection, refraction.
- Spread Spectrum Modulation (DSSS, FHSS) and Multiplexing (FDM, TDM, OFDM) Techniques.
- Antenna technologies for wireless communications. Multiple-antenna Access (MIMO).
- Analysis of wireless network technologies (SSID, WLAN_ID, interfaces, VLAN, 802.1q).
- Standardization of wireless technologies (Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMAX, ZigBee).
- Topology of wireless local computer networks (interconnections, bridging).
- Analysis and application of standards for broadband networks (IEEE 802.16 series).
- WiMAX network access: character, architecture, characteristics, application.
- Routing techniques in wireless networks. AODV (Ad hoc On Demand Distance Vector).
- Security problems. The protocol for controlling access to ports; 802.1x, AAA protocols; RADIUS.
- PKI concept. WPA/WPA2 authentication and protection of wireless network traffic. EAP protocols.
- Mobile communications networks for the transmission of multimedia content.
- Evolution of digital mobile networks towards mobile broadband (GSM, GPRS, EDGE).
- Protocol analysis in 3G networks (WCDMA, HSPA) and 4G networks, (LTE, LTE-A).
Practical instruction (Problem solving sessions/Lab work/Practical training):
- Configuration of wireless access points and clients. Selections of channel, antenna type, and access point position. Creating CA certificates, issuing certificates for servers and clients. Configuration of freeRadius server. Setup EAP-TLS and EAP-PEAP authentication.
Textbooks and References
- M. S. Gast, 802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide,O'Reilly Media,2005.
- C. Smith, D. Collins,Wireless Networks, McGraw-Hill Education; 3 edition, 2014
- N. Gospić, I. Tomić, Razavoj mobilnih komunikacija: od GSM do LTE, Saobraćajni fakultet, 2010
Number of active classes (weekly)
Practical classes: 3
Other types of classes: 0
Grading (maximum number of points: 100)
activities during lectures
activities on practial excersises